It's a lot to take in, a lot to reflect upon.
The one thing that I know more than anything else, is that our five years of marriage is what makes all of the other things on that list possible; big and small. I couldn't have done it alone, I wouldn't have wanted to do it with any one else. My marriage is what makes all things in this life beautiful, it is what makes everything we have worth having. I wake every morning eternally grateful for the man lying next to me and I go to bed each and every night, thankful that the Lord allows him to still be by my side.
I remember in the beginning of our relationship reading an article that said the hardest years of any marriage, were the first five. You have to re-learn your very approach to life; finances, friendships, family, intimacy, spiritually, emotionally, etc... That, my friends, is a very tall order. One that I think many people nowadays take a little too lightly(but that of course, is a blog post for another time). And as we stand here, on the cusp of all we've worked so hard for, it's impossible to forget all that we've gone through to achieve it, how undeniably true that article was. The last five years has been filled with more blood, sweat, and tears than I could have ever even fathomed on my wedding day.
Through the years, we have had our fair share of help and an even more equal share of sheer dumb luck. Any one that tells you that they haven't ever had a little bit of either, is lying to themselves. The difference in our marriage, I like to think, is what we have done with those advantages. When things got really tight, or we were really down, we always promised each other that we would never make the same mistake twice. We would learn, we would adapt. Come hell or high water, we would take every kick in the teeth and turn it into something we could eventually benefit from. Sometimes I look back and can't help but think that there was many a time where we unintentionally put our own selves behind the eight ball, but I wouldn't change a single bit of it. We could have waited for children, we could have stayed in Florida, we could have let people hold us back or take advantage of us just because they were our "friends", but then we wouldn't have been true to us. To who we were. More importantly too, is that we wouldn't have the life we have now. Every choice, good or bad, has led us to this beautiful place in our lives together. And in every moment, even the darkest and hardest, it never seemed that bad; because we had each other.
One of the hardest parts of the last five years of marriage, has been the outside relationships. To stay focused on who, and what, was worth addressing. And who, and what, was not. It's an amazing thing to experience, having people bet against you. Especially other married couples. That has always intrigued me the most. How people who have made the same vows and promises as you, can interpret their meanings so differently with their own spouse. Which I suppose is what makes being married so profoundly unique, but I would imagine we would all be rooting for one another, supporting the bonds we have tied ourselves to. The lesson we have taken from these people and those relationships is this: we grow, we re-commit to new things, we change. It's important to recognize which people and places can find themselves stagnant in your life, in your marriage. To see who and what is going to take your own relationship further, benefit it more. There is nothing mean or wrong in saying good-bye to someone or somewhere you have outgrown. It doesn't mean any one or any place is better than another, it is only people doing what they were meant to do; evolving.
The most important thing I have taken from the last five years would have to be learning not to apologize for putting our marriage first. At the end of each day, what is going to matter to us is knowing that we made choices and decisions based on what was best for our family and not for any one else. It took us a long time to realize that we didn't have to feel sorry for that. Our marriage, our children, is what needs to last for the long haul. We will always try our hardest, we will always try to make up for the times we fail, but we will do it on the terms that works best for our family. The times where we have forgotten this, are the times where our home suffers from the stress. Focusing on a happy home and a happy family is what makes all other things in our life possible.
After five years, we can finally see the light. I see the lifetime we have worked so diligently for laid out before us and I'm so excited to embark upon it <3
I love this phrase: Which I suppose is what makes being married so profoundly unique. You put that so beautifully.
ReplyDeleteI was just talking to Jimmy about you, and I meant to text you. I told him that even though we had our differences before you left Florida, I have always admired you for many reasons, one of which is that you do you but you don't shove your ways down other people's throats. I love that you can blog, talk, post about your family without ever being condescending or condemning anyone else's family. I love that you and Paul know each other so well, share the same dreams, and go for them without apology. It's a trait I hope will somehow manifest in my life... someday. I can't wait to see your first home and the fun your new little dude brings to your already eclectic family <3
You know, in the last 2 1/2 years I have grown and changed so much that I don't even feel like that same person that lived in Florida sometimes. I look back on the way that our friendship, and other friendships, unfolded and I can't help but wonder what I was thinking. I wasted a lot of time on people who did nothing but make me out to look like a fool for their own benefit and who never returned the effort that I was giving them. I think our friendship suffered from those exact things. Thankfully, we both are people who understand that we aren't always at our best and that people can be better, do better. It's just whether or not they're worth our effort. I have a feeling if I were to come back to Florida now, our friendship would be world's away from the two girls from years ago. And I'm thankful for that.
ReplyDelete