Saturday, July 23, 2011

False Words and Broken Hearts.

Throughout the course of my life I have encountered many trials. Some have been my own, some have been those of the people I love, and all have left a distinct mark on my life. I have gone through and seen many things that most people my age couldn't even imagine. I use to feel sorry for myself, I use to throw myself these giant pity parties. For a long time I had even put myself on a very successful path to self-destruction. Then I met my husband. From the moment I met him, I knew he was it. I had met the person I would share the rest of my days with. He made me instantly realize that I was throwing away my life and helped me see what life was suppose to be like. TRUE happiness, love, and humor; so many of the things that had been too long absent from my life.

From the very beginning, people had a very hard time understanding our relationship. People who are suppose to love and support you, were suddenly very harsh and not at all understanding. After five months of dating, we were engaged. It was, outside of the birth of my sons, the most beautiful moment of my life. And again, instead of being presented with happiness, we were shunned. There were whispers behind our back and judgements made. Instead of seeing two people who were head over heels in love, people chose to look at us as two young kids who didn't know what they were doing. More than once, I heard stories from almost complete strangers, of the things that the people closest to us were REALLY thinking. It was painful and left me time and again, hurt and confused.

Five years, three children, and one cross-country move later; it continues.

It honestly leaves me baffled.

The thing that I truly don't understand, is that there are very few people who actually know anything about mine and my husbands lives. The only people who TRULY know us are my mother, a very select close group of friends, and my siblings. We have an absolutely beautiful life. Our sons do more than a lot of children that I know. They are more than well cared for, happy, and bright little boys. My husband and I, I can honestly say, have one of the healthiest and happiest marriages that I have seen. Not to mention, my husband is unbelievably good at what he does. He has proven himself time and again, to be an amazing provider for our family. And yet, we are still wounded by other people and their unwarranted opinions.

To have people question our abilities as parents, when they have absolutely no solid reason.
To have people tell others behind our back that we are "struggling", when they know NOTHING about our financial situation.
To have people doubt us, when we have repeatedly proven we are strong capable adults.

To say it's disappointing would be a gross understatement.

I am writing this, because I understand that many of us must deal with these issues. We are all too often disappointed by the people that we are supposed to be able to lean on. How should we handle it? Especially when you know that confrontation would be all for naught. Do we hold our heads high and remind ourselves we are the bigger person, that their opinions are simply delusions they have created, or do we start to create barriers for ourselves? And if that's the case, how long before we have closed ourselves off from the greater part of the world?

I guess that I can just try to look on the brighter side of things. I am learning the hard way, lessons that my sons can benefit from. That acceptance and love will create for your life more beauty than you could ever hope for. Whereas a life filled with half-hearted relationships and disappointment will only ever give you what you expect; sadness and loneliness. Who we surround ourselves with and who we choose to love, will always have a direct reflection on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment